The Arizona Masterworks Chorale is seeking paid section leaders for the 2022-2023 season. For more information or to apply, please use the Contact Us form on this website.
Purpose of the Position:
- Provide musical leadership by encouraging a sense of community, congeniality, and professionalism within the Arizona Masterworks Chorale (AMC) musical family.
- Enable the Chorale to sing a more challenging repertoire.
- Assist the Music Director in improving the musical skills and overall confidence of the volunteer Choristers.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Prepare and perform all AMC Chamber Choir (small group) and full Chorale repertoire, and solos as requested by the music director.
- Provide musical leadership and training for your Chorale section, giving volunteer Choristers a strong sense of musical security, and general group leadership by setting the example for professional preparation, behavior, deportment, attendance, and punctuality.
- Advise individual Choristers on technique and interpretation as needed; organize and lead sectional rehearsals within scheduled Chorale rehearsals.
- Advise the Music Director about the status and needs of the section, and opportunities to enhance the musical experience of the Chorale and audience.
- Attend all scheduled Chorale rehearsals and performances during the season, giving priority to Chorale activities over other engagements.
Qualifications and Skills
- Excellent musicianship: superior music reader and ensemble singer with good pitch sense and vocal flexibility in a variety of styles (piano skills not required but useful).
- A good understanding of vocal technique and healthy singing fundamentals.
- A strong sense of musical leadership and responsibility to volunteer Choristers.
- Good interpersonal and communication skills, able to sensitively give feedback and correction to the members of your section.
General and Compensation
- Section Leaders are independent contractors engaged by contractual agreement with The Arizona Masterworks Chorale, Inc., and reporting to the Music Director.
- The engagement is for the 2022-2023 season, September 2022 to May 2023, with three productions of at least two performances each; approximately 22 regular weekly musical ensemble rehearsals; and possible additional special events.
- Compensation is $35/hour for rehearsals and performances. As members of the Chamber Choir, Section Leaders may spend more time in ensemble rehearsal than some volunteer Choristers.